Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs) such as hypertension, diabetes, cancers and chronic respiratory infections are increasingly becoming a major problem in Malawi and within the African region. Some of the major NCD conditions share some risk factors including poor dietary habits, smoking, excessive alcohol consumption and physical inactivity.
Current health promotion emphasis:
Promotion of healthy eating, physical activity and cessation of drinking and smoking as well as screening for diseases.
Health messages include:
- Lead an active life with exercise
- Observe weight or reduce weight
- Observe good dietary habits
- Quit smoking and regulate alcohol consumption
- Go for check up or screening for high blood pressure and diabetes.